THE 2013 GREAT KNARESBOROUGH BED RACE RULES
1 To qualify for entry on the day of the race each team MUST provide the name and contact details of an adult marshal by April 1st 2013. It is a requirement of entry on the day that each time provides to the Lions Safety Marshal on bed race day an adult marshal. Failure to do so will lead to disqualification.
2. The bed and runners must be decorated in the published theme of the year. Failure to do so will result in disqualification
3. The bed and team will take part in the parade and must follow the requests, at all times, of the marshals and race officials
4. The running (both adult and junior) team will be made up of either:
- 6 males
- 6 females
- Mixed team of 3 males and 3 females
- Plus one passenger
5. A junior team must be pupils in school years 8 to 11 inclusive to qualify for entry
6. The passenger must be no younger than year 6 and all passengers must wear protective headgear and lifejackets throughout the race
7. No substitutions will be allowed during the race
8. Riding on the bed except for the passenger is forbidden
9. All competitors must be able to swim
10. During the race all beds must keep to the left unless overtaking or at the request of race officials
11.The throwing of missiles or objects of any description is extremely dangerous and is strictly forbidden. Failure to comply leads to disqualification
12. No alcohol to be consumed by the team runners until after the race has ended. Any team found to be under the influence of alcohol will be disqualified and banned from future races.
13. The team must be able to complete the course within 30 minutes. Please ensure you are able to do so before the race day.
14. Bed race is a family event, all members of the team and parade must conduct themselves appropriately at all times i.e. No Swearing or Inappropriate Gestures. The organisers reserve the right to withdraw a team at any point.
15. Each team must have a named Captain who wears an armband and takes responsibility for ensuring the safety of the team during the race and the parade.
16. To enter for the Fastest New Team, no team member must have competed in a previous race.
17. All Teams to complete a Team Detail Sheet to show any changes from the original entry form. This is to have signed parental consent for ALL runners and passengers ages 16 or under.
18. The provided wrist bands must be worn by all team members and the two helpers
19. At least one member of the team must attend the team briefing and collect the team pack. Any trophies won during last year event must be returned at this time
1. Each team must provide
- A bed decorated in the theme for the year
- An audible air horn / hooter
- A helmet and lifejacket for the passenger
2. When decorated, the bed must not exceed 2 metres in width, 4 metres in length and 3 metres in height.
3. Decorations must be removed from the bed before the start of the Race.
4.The bed must have no means of mechanical propulsion.
5. All beds must have been examined and passed by the scrutineers prior to the start of the Race.
6. 3 race numbers must be displayed on the front and sides of the bed. It is the team’s responsibility to ensure that these stay attached at all times.
7. Each bed must have a built-in buoyancy aid capable of supporting the bed and the passenger for not less than five minutes, and have an aperture large enough to allow the passenger to escape quickly if required.
8. Each bed must
i) Have four wheels of not more than 250mm (10 inches) in diameter (including the tyres), and a minimum tyre width of 50mm (2 inches)
ii) Allow a gauge of 0.15m by 0.45 m wide to pass under the bed in the direction of travel (ie ground clearance of 0.15m and the wheels must be at least 0.45m apart, side to side).
iii) Allow a gauge of 0.15m by 1.25m long to pass under the bed in the direction of travel (ie ground clearance of 0.15m and the wheels must be at least 1.25m apart, front to rear).
iv) Have a minimum length of 1.75m and a minimum width of 0.75m.
v) Have a maximum length of 3.0m and a maximum width of 1.35m.
vi) Have two ropes, each not more than 3.75m long, attached to the rear of the bed in order to slow its progress when necessary. A maximum of two additional ropes, not more than 3.75m long, also may be attached to the bed.
Revised for the 2013 event